FiveThirtyEight is in search of an intern to be part of our politics crew for spring 2022. We’re wanting for a present college student or the latest graduate who has encounter utilizing information to convey to tales about politics — ranging from how Americans really feel about an significant political difficulty to unpacking big political and electoral traits.
The intern’s key purpose will be to report and write tales, but the internship will also contain working intently with the politics group and other parts of the newsroom on a amount of collaborative tasks. See FiveThirtyEight’s “When Females Run” undertaking or our deep dive into police misconduct and settlements for examples of large, cross-newsroom assignments that interns have contributed to.
The excellent applicant will have journalism practical experience and a history in knowledge examination in addition to some knowledge masking or analyzing American politics (no matter if from a journalism class, faculty paper, occupation or internship). But “politics” doesn’t just signify electoral politics. It could signify you have experience reporting on plan concerns, social actions, polarization in your local community or something else. Interpret it broadly because we will much too!
The Politics Intern will report to the Politics Editor, but as a smaller newsroom, we’re seeking for somebody eager to collaborate with colleagues throughout the newsroom. The Politics Intern is a U.S.-primarily based remote place. Applicants really should be equipped to commit to a complete-time plan from January right up until May possibly and should be a current university student or have graduated in the past 18 months. Utilize with a go over letter and resume at the Disney work opportunities portal.
- Pitch, report and write tales on American politics.
- Conduct initial info analysis for tales and greater features and jobs.
- Collaborate with other reporters and teams across the newsroom, which includes our visual journalists, video journalists and duplicate desk.
- Journalism experience, regardless of whether from a class, doing work at a scholar publication or via a career or internship.
- Working experience examining facts — yet again, practical experience from a course, college student publication or earlier job or internship is completely high-quality!
- Some working experience reporting on politics.
- Expertise of FiveThirtyEight and the sorts of journalism we make.
- A qualifications in figures or practical experience performing with R.